Once I lived in dark suspension, imagination running wild, a dark and forbidden forest forgotten, and built a web of tales to hide within, never looking always dreaming, but now I find that all the webs have flown wide to vanish, sisters spinning soon forgotten and all I have left are these words



Friday, March 5, 2010

Laundry system de-cluttered



Sort, Straighten, Standardize, Sanitize, Sustain. These are good words to help inspire and build a strategy to answer the de-clutter process as well as more efficient time use.

Newest Project: Make a laundry schedule and organize laundry baskets.

Baskets: White = whites, large blue = colors, small blue = Levis, bathroom hamper = towels, turtle shape = children’s clothes.

Once the baskets were organized, the schedule was created. Some people in our family use a clean towel every day and others don't. Some also wear one clean pair of Levis a day, and sometimes twice a day. These two elements make more towel and Levis laundry than any other type, so it seemed to make sense to do these two types of laundry twice a week.

Schedule: Monday = whites, T = towels, Wednesday = Levis, Thursday = colors, Friday = Levis and towels, Saturday = children's clothes, Sunday = Colors and Levis.

So far this schedule is working. I don't spend hours sorting laundry back and forth between all the different baskets as long as everyone puts the right type of clothes into the corresponding baskets. I can't say it is easy to get everyone to comply.

It really seems to make sense to do laundry on a schedule rather than just waiting for different basket's to overflow before doing laundry, or having to do 5 loads of laundry on one day, or the entire weekend. One of the de-clutter strategies I learned was to do one load of laundry a day, so that you don't get behind and this is when a schedule can really work well.

Next project: The pantry!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed! Can't wait to hear about the pantry--I really need that one. With jus 2 people, laundry isn't an issue--Sussmann doesn't have much laundry so his doesn't count (tee hee). His all goes in with towels since thatis all he uses (for drying of muddy feet and wet fur). Schedules always make life easier as long as we can be flexible enough to adjust when needed. Wow! You were up writing early -- unless you actually did this on your last niht shift -- just figure out that my laptop has funky keys that sometimes don't type as fast as I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember when I posted this. At least I do remember writing it. haha. I think this schedule is helping me a lot. I got a bit off track when I got a bad cold and was sick, but we managed to get back into the swing of things. I mean, there are no penalties for not following the schedule, except that you now have two load to do the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry I'm just now getting around to reading this. I like your schedule. It seems like doing all my laundry on Saturday morning works best for me. That way all our clothes are clean, and I have a full selection to chose from, as far as what I want to wear for the work week, etc. Sometimes I'll break it up and do the towels and sheets on Friday night or Sunday afternoon - depending on how busy our weekend is. I actually just read an article on laundry and how to make your own laundry soap - if you're interested let me know and I'll send you the recipe.

    ReplyDelete