Once I lived in dark suspension, imagination running wild, a dark and forbidden forest forgotten, and built a web of tales to hide within, never looking always dreaming, but now I find that all the webs have flown wide to vanish, sisters spinning soon forgotten and all I have left are these words



Saturday, July 23, 2011

Classic Coney Island Hot Dog Recipe


My husband's family has been trying to duplicate these Dirty John's hot dogs for as long as I have known them. They were pretty close on their recipe, but Rachel Ray has shared the original Dirty John's Hot Dog Sause for us all. Finally I can try this famous recipe for myself. The natives call them Coney Islands, or from New Way Lunch they called them Dirty John's Dirt Dogs. If you mixed my Mother-in-law's and father-in-law's recipes you would almost have the perfect Dirty John's hot dog. I used to think of them as chilli dogs without the beans.

Ingredients:
8 hot dog buns
1 pound ground beef
2 onions, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder (Sometimes I use only 1 1/2 tbs)
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1 tablespoon yellow mustard, plus more for topping
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons brown sugar8 beef hot dogs in natural casings

Directions:1.Preheat the oven to 300°. Wrap the hot dog rolls in foil. In a large skillet, cook the beef, half of the onions and the garlic over medium-high heat, breaking up the meat, until the onions are softened and the meat is cooked though, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir in 1 cup water, the tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat to medium and cook until thickened, about 20 minutes.

2.Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cover the hot dogs with water and bring to a boil. Cook until heated through, about 8 minutes. Place the rolls in the oven and heat through. Place the hot dogs in the rolls and top with the chili, the remaining onions and extra mustard.

Note: Sometimes I just steam the buns on a rack over the hot dogs, but my husband likes the buns toasted, like on a grill. He tells me that is how New Way Lunch serves them.


Classic Coney Island Hot Dogs Recipe - Every Day with Rachael Ray

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for looking at our blog. I have no advice. All CHARGE kiddos are so different. I'm sure your son will get there soon! Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete